The Oriskany Patent

A map of the vast Oriskany Patent, drawn in 1789 (below), provides a very detailed look at the extreme Upper Mohawk Valley at the close of the Revolutionary War.

Oriskany Patent, 1789.

At the west end of the patent (top of the map) one can see the portage between the Mohawk River and Wood Creek, with the fort guarding this portage (then called "Fort Schuyler" and later "Fort Stanwix") being passed closely by the river road.

At the eastern end of the patent (bottom of the map), the relationship of the patent boundary to Oriskany Creek can be seen (see detail below). At this spot the river road branches with one segment crossing the river to the north. A modern highway follows this same alignment today.

Oriskany Patent, detail.

Home
Top
Back to "Land Grants and Parcel Maps"