Plantation Island and the German Flatts Canal of 1798


THE NEW YORK STATE MUSEUM
Documentary Study 1982-1992
Plantation Island - Western Sector (Erie Canal Lock 41)
1830 Map
1830 Map
Erie lock area map 1860 Map
1860 Map
1834 Map
1843 Map
1869 Map
1869 Map
1850s Map
1850s Map
1890 Map
1890 Map
Click on any image above for a closer look.
Most large format field images are about 50 KB.
An Explanation of the Maps

1830 Map: This is the earliest known image of Lock 6 (later Lock 41) at german Flatts. It shows a single chamber with a bypass for overflow water.

1834 Map: This is from the Holmes Hutchinson map series of the original Erie Canal, and shows the single chamber lock as well as the old property of the Western Inland Lock Navigation Company (The German Flatts Canal - 1798).

1850s Map: This map shows a suggestion of an new lock repalcing an earlier and narrower lock to the north. The narrow lock appears to be the one shown in the 1830s, and also mapped in some detail on an 1830s plan found in the Canal Museum in Syracuse.

1960 Map: This map shows the doubling of the lock chambers to provide passage for a single boat in either direction, or two boats in one direction.

1869 Map: This is merely another version of the double chamber design seen on the 1860 map (above).

1890 Map: This is the plan for the lengthening of the southern chamber of the double lock to allow tandem barges to pass through this chamber without being disconnected. This plan is also shown in a set of contract plans from 1891, and the final configuration of this lock is confirmed on the 1921 Barge Canal Map of this area.