Plantation Island and the German Flatts Canal of 1798


THE NEW YORK STATE MUSEUM
Field Survey 1982-1992
Plantation Island - Western Sector (Erie Canal and Associated Features)
Field View A
Field View A
Erie lock area map Field View E
Field View E
Field View B
Field View B
Field View F
Field View F
Field View C
Field View C
Map of Bridge
Map G
Field View D
Field View D
Field View H
Field View H
Click on any image above for a closer look.
Most large format field images are about 50 KB.
Explanation of Field Views

Views A&B: A pile of un-used canal construction stone was found at the margins of the Erie Canal tow path. The age of this materials is not known.

View C: Although largely filled with dredgin spoil in this area, the stone edging of the bed of the Erie Canal is still exposed.

View D: The bed of the Erie Canal in this area is broad and well defined, even though some filling has occurred here.

View E: At this location a farm bridge, one of two in this section, crosssed the canal. The remains of the northern stone abutment are well preserved. Remains of the second bridge, though lacking visible stonework, are found along the canal to the east.

View F: The southern bridge abutment was raised with a poured concrete sill near the end of the canal to allow taller boats to pass under this elevated end of the bridge.

Map G: This circa 1860 map of the bridge at this location, one of several bridge maps recorded during the study, shows this bridge and abutments as they appeared then.

View H: Looking eastward along the tow path of the Erie Canal.