Plantation Island and the German Flatts Canal of 1798


THE NEW YORK STATE MUSEUM
Field Survey 1982-1992
Plantation Island - Western Sector (1798 German Flatts Canal)
Field View A
Field View A
Field View D
Field View D
Field View B
Field View B
Field View E
Field View E
Field View C
Field View C
Field View F
Field View F
Click on any image above for a closer look.
Large format field images are about 55 KB.
Explanation of Views:

View A: This is a view of old Wolf Rift looking northwest. When the Barge Canal was built through this area, the Mohawk River was relocated, leaving this section of the historic channel abandoned.

View B: This is a view along the extreme westerly end of the German Flatts Canal, looking west toward the river.

Views C&D: These views show the field conditions in the area occupied by the buildings of the Western Inland Lock Navigation Company in the 1790s, and later by outbuildings of the Erie Canal.

View E: A detail of the 1834 Homles Hutchinson map of the Erie Canal, showing the WILNC property and some of the buildings that existed at that time.

View F: The exposed line of stonework, discovered by DEC in 1988, that led to the State Museum's discovery and excavation of the guard lock of the 1798 canal.

See the preliminary excavation plan showing the outline of the buried 1798 lock.